Dr. Fang joined McMaster in 2005 as the Canada Research Chair in Biophotonics. Biophotonics is a fast growing interdisciplinary field that applies physical, chemical and engineering advances to address biological and medical challenges.
McMaster School of Biomedical Engineering http://msbe.mcmaster.ca/
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research (BIMR) http://www.brockhouse.mcmaster.ca/
Centre for Emerging Device Technologies (CEDT) http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/cedt/
McMaster Institute for Research in Aging (MIRA) http://mira.mcmaster.ca/
Associate member of:
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
School of Interdisciplinary Sciences, Faculty of Science
Dr. Fang works on the development of optical spectroscopy and imaging technologies for biomedical and environmental applications. His recent research projects include: multimodality optical biopsy techniques for real-time clinical diagnosis and guided therapy, optical endoscope designs for gastrointestinal (GI) cancer screening, photodynamic therapy (PDT) photosensitizer uptake and dosimetry, fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) technologies for high content screening; miniaturized optical sensors for water quality monitoring, and optical sensing and imaging technologies for smart home and aging research.
4I03/6I03 Introduction to Biophotonics
4G03 Optical Instrumentation
2W03 Acquisition and Analysis of Experimental Information I
BME 707 Advanced Topics in Biophotonics
BME 701 Biomedical Engineering I
ECE 778 Nanotechnology
- Tsikouras, P. Peronio, I. Rech, N. Hirmiz, M. J. Deen, and Q. Fang, “Characterization of SPAD Array for Multifocal High-Content Screening Applications,” Photonics, 3(4):56, 2016
- Tsikouras, R. Berman, D. W. Andrews and Q. Fang, “High-speed multifocal array scanning using refractive window tilting,” Biomedical Optics Express 6, 3737-3757 (2015).
- S-C. A. Yeh, C. S.N. Ling, D. W. Andrews, M. S. Patterson, K. R. Diamond, J. E. Hayward, D. Armstrong, and Q. Fang, “5-aminolevulinic acid for quantitative seek-and-treat of high-grade dysplasia in Barrett’s Esophagus cellular models,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 20(2):028002, 2015.
- S-C. A. Yeh, S. Sahli, D. W. Andrews, M. S. Patterson, D. Armstrong, J. Provias, and Q. Fang, “5-ALA induced PpIX as a fluorescence marker for quantitative image analysis of high-grade dysplasia in Barrett’s Esophagus cellular models,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 20(2):028002, 2015.
- S. A. Yeh, M. S. Patterson, J. E. Hayward, and Q. Fang, “Time-Resolved Fluorescence in Photodynamic Therapy,” Photonics, 1(4): 530-564, 2014
- S. A. Yeh, K. R. Diamond, M. S. Patterson, Z. Nie, J. E. Hayward, and Q. Fang, “Monitoring Photosensitizer Uptake Using Two Photon Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging Microscopy,” Theranostics, 2(9): 817-826, 2012
- A. Tsikouras, J. Ning, S. Ng, R. Berman, D. W. Andrews, and Q. Fang, “Streak camera crosstalk reduction using a multiple decay optical fiber bundle,” Optics Letters 37(2): 250-252, 2012
- R. W. K. Leung, S. A. Yeh, and Q. Fang, “Effects of incomplete decay in fluorescence lifetime estimation,” Biomedical Optics Express 2(9):2517–2531, 2011
- J. A. Russell, K. R. Diamond, T. Collins, H. F. Tiedje, J. E. Hayward, T. J. Farrell, M. S. Patterson, Q. Fang, “Characterization of Fluorescence Lifetime of Photofrin and Delta-Aminolevulinic Acid Induced Protoporphyrin IX in Living Cells using Single and Two-photon Excitation,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 14(1): 158-166, 2008
- V. N. D. Le, J. Provias, N. Murty, M. S. Patterson, Z. Nie, J. E. Hayward, T. Farrell , W. McMillan, W. Zhang, Q. Fang, “Dual-modality optical biopsy of glioblastomas multiforme with diffuse reflectance and fluorescence: ex vivo retrieval of optical properties,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 22(2):027002, 2017
- Z. Nie, V.N. Le, D. Cappon, J. Provias, N. Murty, J. E. Hayward, T. J. Farrell, M. S. Patterson, W. McMillan, Q. Fang, “Integrated Time-resolved Fluorescence and Diffuse Reflectance Spectroscopy Instrument for Intraoperative Detection of Brain Tumor Margin,” IEEE Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 22(3): 6802109, 2016
- V. N. D. Le, M. S. Patterson, T. J. Farrell, J. E. Hayward, Q. Fang, “Experimental recovery of intrinsic fluorescence and fluorophore concentration in the presence of hemoglobin: spectral effect of scattering and absorption on fluorescence,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 20(12), 127003, 2015
- V. N. D. Le, Z. Nie, J. E. Hayward, T. J. Farrell, and Q. Fang, “Measurements of extrinsic fluorescence in Intralipid and polystyrene microspheres,” Biomedical Optics Express, 5(8): 2726-2735, 2014
- Z. Nie, R. An, J. E. Hayward, T. J. Farrell, Q. Fang, “Hyperspectral Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging for Optical Biopsy,” in press, Accepted for publication by Journal of Biomedical Optics on July 22, 2013
- Y. Yuan, J-Y. Hwang, M. Krishnamoorthy, J. Ning, Y. Zhang, K. Ye, R. C. Wang, M. J. Deen, Q. Fang, “A high throughput AOTF-based time-resolved fluorescence spectrometer for optical biopsy,” Optics Letters, 34(7): 1132-1134, 2009
- Y. Yuan, T. Papaioannou, Q. Fang, “Single shot acquisition of time-resolved fluorescence spectra using a multiple delay optical fiber bundle,” Optics Letters, 33(8): 791-793, 2008
Miniaturized sensing and imaging
- S. Sahli, R. C. C. Wang, A. Murthy, D. Armstrong, M. J. Deen, and Q. Fang, “a 360 degree side view endoscope for lower GI tract mapping,” Physics in Canada, 75(1): 18-20, 2015
- Z. Li, M. J. Deen, Q. Fang, and P.R. Selvaganapathy, “Design of a Flat field Concave Grating Based Micro‐Raman Spectrometer for Environmental Applications,” Applied Optics, 51(28):6855-6863, 2012
- R. C. C. Wang, M. J. Deen, D. Armstrong, and Q. Fang, “development of a catadioptric endoscope objective with forward and side views,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 16(6):066015, 2011.
- M. Kfouri, O. Marinov, P. Quevedo, N. Faramarzpour, S. Shirani, L. W-C. Liu, Q. Fang, M. J. Deen, “Towards a Miniaturized Wireless Fluorescence-Based Diagnostic Imaging System,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 14(1): 226-234, 2008
Ultrafast Laser ablation
- R. An, G. W. Khadar, E. I. Wilk, B. Emigh, H. K. Haugen, G. R. Wohl, B. Dunlop, M. Anvari, J. E. Hayward, Q. Fang, “Ultrafast laser ablation and machining large-size structures on porcine bone,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 18 (7):070504, 2013
- B. Emigh, R. An, E. M. Hsu, T. H. R. Crawford, H. R. Haugen, G. R. Wohl, J. E. Hayward, and Q. Fang, “Porcine cortical bone ablation by ultrashort pulsed laser irradiation,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 17(2):028001, 2012